Updated on June 22, 2019
What are sleeping aids?
Your physical health depends a lot on sleeping. Healing of heart and blood vessels involves sleeping. So, good quality sleep is important for the health, well being and for a better performance of the day. To fulfill a lack of sleep, some sort of prescribed or natural sleep aids may be required. It is helpful to overcome insomnia, jetlag, or adjusting to a new life routine.
Types of Sleeping Aids:
Sleeping Aids are a blessing for people suffering from a sleeping disorder. These may be natural, prescription, or over-the-counter. Prescription medicines which help in insomnia are called ‘hypnotics’ whereas dietary and herbal supplements which help in the relieve of temporary sleeplessness. Natural sleep aids are safe and more effective.
Natural Sleeping Aids:
Following is given some information which may help you in selecting natural sleeping aid for better sleep:
- Cannabidiol: It is the most calming sleep promoter, which reduces anxiety and improves mental focus. This natural supplement significantly improves insomnia and sleepiness of daytime to improve the sleep-wake cycle. With its anti-inflammatory and oxidant properties, it protects the brain from neurodegenerative diseases.
- Melatonin: It is a hormone which tells the body about the light and darkness, and it is essential for the sleep. It triggers the production and acts as a powerful bio time regulator. A stronger sleeping cycle means better sleep time. It enhances your energy, immune function, digestion, and appetite, which means the overall health is improved.
- Magnesium: There is not enough magnesium in our diet, which is an important macro-mineral for overall health. It enables healthy enzyme function, regulates blood pressure, and control the body’s stress. GABA is a neurotransmitter which regulates sleep which we get only by magnesium. If there is less magnesium in the body, it means the level of melatonin is also less. Taking magnesium supplements can help in increasing sleep quality, anxiety, and depression. It is also known as deep sleep mineral.
- Valeria and Hops: This is a herbal supplement which is made from the roots of valerian plant which works as a sleep aid, anxiety, and nervousness remedy. It boosts the production of GABA and functions as an anxiolytic, an anxiety reducer. Valerian has been a great help to people in decreasing the symptoms of Insomnia, whereas hop increases sleep time. These two supplements can be taken separately, but when taken in combination, it may be more effective.
- Magnolia Bark: Mongolia tree barks treats sleeping issues, protects memory, help with a digestive problem, and weight loss. It is filled with a potent natural compound which is effective in treating inflammation, anxiety, and depression. It also acts as a gentle sedative.
Basically, dietary and herbal supplements are referred to as natural sleep aids to have a good night sleep. With less artificial ingredients, people nowadays prefer more natural sleeping aids as it has fewer side effects and helps one live a clean and healthy life.